Saturday, August 14, 2010

Alone with the dogs...

Soul-mate has left for the weekend, which means that I am alone with our three dogs. This is always an anxious time for our spoiled and anthropomorphic canines. There is Bee, the  female Cairn Terrier, who never likes to be far from Soul-mate's presence. (unless there is a mole or squirrel to stalk) She is very sensitive and hates loud shouting or yelling, fireworks, and the howling winds, which never happens here unless...(well..I would rather not say...this is the internet (lol). Then there is Cooper, the Alpha-male wannabe. He was my 50th B-day present from the Soul-mate, and she has never forgotten to ask for my forgiveness  every day of his life. He has been having possession issues lately..""Mine!!"  Plus he has also been having identity issues because of the youngest , Bandit. There is this battle over which one of them gets to sit at the right hand of the true Alpha Male, me. Bandit is a fireplug of a terrier-mix who has only one speed...Fast! He is a fast and in your face type of dog.

When ever Soul-mate is away these dogs could care less if I am here. She doesn't believe me but it true. All they want to do is sit in front of the window and pine for her. Not eating or wanting to play..just pining and walking aimlessly throughout the house. (they act frightening similar to how I act when she is gone) They will sit for hours watching out the window waiting to see her car pull into the driveway but, this weekend they are really messed up because I have the car, and it is parked in the driveway and no Mommy.

So,  here I am alone with these neurotic dogs, when an eruption of barking and clawing and snarling and slobbering at the front window starts..... and then... a dreaded knocking on the door. Not knowing who it was, I attempted the old tried and true "hide in the bathroom until they get tired and walk away" ploy, but this interloper was a committed disturber and he went to his plan B, the door bell...repeatedly!  I was stuck. Realizing that it might be something or someone important, I decided to close off the dogs inside the house, while I opened the the garage door to meet whomever was outside....Big mistake.......... Damn!

Standing there was  a Census taker. The same Census taker that had taped a note to our garage door earlier in the week stating we owed more information to the Government....(other than the number of U.S. citizens living within the home, duh?). We had decided after seeing this video that we are not going to answer all those personal questions and just easily supply them with stuff we don't want to divulge. I puffed out my chest and stood firm, only providing him with the number of "humans" living at this address. But he already had our names and ages written down on piece of paper in our "file". He said that he got them at the courthouse off our property tax papers! I told him since those were public records then he can use them. The remainder of the info needed was our race (which I found ridiculous since he was standing in front of me) and  a telephone number (which I refused to provide) Damn government man!!

I suddenly started feeling like a jerk though. I could tell that the man was not liking my attitude and I know that I was not the only person to give him grief just for doing the job he was told to do. Census takers are temp workers and it would have to be one of the worst type of doorknocker jobs out there. Heck, Jehovah Witnesses do it for there beliefs. As I shook his hand after he got all the info I was going to give him (it is the principal of the thing), I left by saying, "I would hate to have your job" with some empathy. He replied, "I am definitely ready for the job to be over". I sensed he was carrying some Census takers battlefield wounds. So tomorrow at church I need to repent for my sins toward him and pray for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment